Monday, August 16, 2004

Doctor Visit 8-16-04

Today Nichole and I went to our regular weekly doctor visit. He measured the uterus with a tape measure (at least I think that's what he was measuring) and it measured 40 cm. According to their "rule of thumb", the size they measure should roughly match (with 2cm either way) the number of weeks. Up until last week, we were in the same ballpark. According to today, though, the baby is measuring 40 weeks (+ or - 2cm). The doctor did a quick pelvic exam and said that although Nichole is not dilating yet, she has begun to efface, and the baby's head has moved down closer to zero station and birth position... so it shouldn't be long! (Although, as they cautioned us, it could be today, could be tomorrow, but more likely will be a while yet... and that we could go early OR go late.

One thing the doctor did mention is that I should probably stick fairly close to home until the baby is due, since it could happen soon, and although we'd probably have plenty of time to get where we both need to be, there is no sense adding the extra pressure of being out of town to the whole experience. And I would want to be there from the moment she starts labor, anyway.

Our next visit is scheduled for next Monday, August 23. And the doctor felt we should be scheduled for an ultrasound that morning, just to see exactly how big this baby is getting!

No comments: