Thursday, July 01, 2004

A busy evening

Tonight we had our doctor appointment at 5pm. Everything was just fine, and we got to hear the baby's heartbeat again. I never get tired of hearing it. The doctor turned the volume up kind of loud, and it sounded like elephants marching in a cartoon. Pretty neat.

After the doctor appointment we went to our second "Birth Awareness" class. Why do they call it birth awareness, anyway? It's not like we're not going to be fully, completely aware that there is a birth going on. And Nichole will be more aware than anyone! Anyway, the second birth class was basically almost the same as the first. Same video, and much of the same instruction... that's what happens when you have two different instructors, I guess. The baby in the video looks all white and slimy from the vernix caseosum, which is the coating many babies have on their bodies at birth to protect them in utero. Apparently some babies can even be born en caul, which means still in the amniotic sac. Doctors must have to learn a lot of Latin. Or maybe the videos just use these terms to sound professional.

We'd hoped to get the grand tour of the hospital tonight, but apparently that's a different night with this instructor. It's a pretty small hospital though, so I doubt we'll get lost when the time comes. And we wouldn't do anything about it if we didn't like the hospital, anyway, at this point... we certainly wouldn't switch. I think with or without a tour, we'll be just fine.

On top of everything else tonight, we packed to go up north to the cabin tomorrow, for a long 4th of July weekend. I'm dead tired. Looking forward to the vacation, if not the drive to get there.

No comments: